Wednesday, March 15, 2006

"Now and forever"
...except it's not, and praise God for that!

Pete and I have had loads of engagement cards, a couple of which have the phrase "now and forever" on them. But this relationship is not for forever - it's just for now. In heaven there'll be no marriage, except that of Christ and His church. My only husband will be Jesus, my redeemer, and I will be part of the beautiful, spotless bride that He has prepared for Himself, the church.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to marriage. But it's so thrilling to have the eternal perspective, that one day we'll be in glory with Jesus, in the one perfect relationship we've been waiting for.

This is also really challenging, as the fact that this marriage (if it happens, DV) will only be for this life means that it must have some eternal worth, or there's no point to it. So the primary function of our marriage will have to be to bring God glory - when we get to heaven, I don't want either of us to feel regret, that we held each other back spiritually, or caused each other to live a lukewarm Christian life.

Praying that we would spur each other on in the race to win the prize for which God has called us heavenwards in Christ Jesus!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is such an encouragement and a challenge to me. I really needed to hear that, God is so good!
God bless :) xxx

Daniel Hames said...

Hi there!

This is Dan- a friend of Steve Bawden's... we met a few weeks ago when I was in Sawnsea.

Good to see your blog and be encouraged by it. Praying for you and Pete.

Dan

Unknown said...

hey have a lookie at my blog sumtime, great to hear from u (it's called "dan indajunge" - stupid name i no. lol)