Thursday, November 03, 2005

Ephesians 1v17I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. 18I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints

Over the past few weeks, seeing old friends, studying Titus in YL, hearing Ian Walsh preaching at Swansea Uni's CU houseparty (where I did a seminar on study! More of that to come), and generally just thinking about things, I've seen again the importance of growing in knowledge of who God is. As soon as I take my eyes off Him, I start to drift, to lose heart, to get bogged down in the things of this world. My strength comes from Christ, so I need to always have my eyes fixed on Him. He is, and always must be the supreme object of my affection, so I need to spend time daily meeting with Him, learning of Him from His Word, and speaking about Him with others. When He is central in my life, everything else will be rubbish in comparison, and I'll be willing to serve Him wholeheartedly, whatever the cost.

The other thing I've become more and more convinced of is the need for true fellowship in the church. We are a family, and as part of the same body we need to be concerned for each others' spiritual wellbeing. We need to be asking each other big questions about how we're doing, where we are, what our relationship with God is like. If we're not holding each other accountable it's too easy for individuals to slip away without anyone knowing. It's so easy to talk about nothing with people, but if I really love my brothers and sisters, I'll point them to Christ, and they'll do the same for me.

John 13v34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

No comments: