Thursday, February 09, 2006

Observations on waiting rooms....

I spend quite a bit of time in waiting rooms, and I've noticed a few things...

The music is generally inappropriate (eg. in the GP surgery, "There may be trouble ahead" was playing one time - I mean please, that's not gonna help anyone! Another time they were playing "dead in the water" by David Gray. Again, hardly helpful.)

The magazines are at least four years old, and yet are in remarkably good condition.

When old ladies who know each other meet in the waiting room, they have the same conversation - "Oh, hello love, how are you?" "I'm good thanks, you?" "Yeah I'm well". What??? If you're in the waiting room, then you shouldn't be well! If you are well, stop wasting the doc's time!

In the waiting room for the psychiatrist, they have magazines like Ok! with pictures of stunning, skinny women - please guys, your patients are largely neurotic and insecure about their self-image - don't leave that around for them!

In the dentists', they have a poster advertising organ donation. Is my dentist really that lethal??

Kids are the only people who make eye contact with you in the waiting room. Everyone else keeps themselves to themselves, in case
a) in the GP surgery, you have something contagious,
b) in the psychiatric unit, you are a psycho and will kill them.

Receptionists are generally (not always, but generally) confused. This manifests itself in inability to book appointments, to work out who sees which doctor next, etc.

Old people have no shame. They will happily talk loudly to the receptionist all about what's wrong with them.

1 comment:

Gareth said...

I think people keep themselves to themselves in a surgery for the same reason they do when on a bus for example. We're British, and 21st Century British at that, we don't like to talk to strangers. I'm a 'keep myself to myself' person definitely. I'd rather sit on my own on a bus or an aeroplane or a train and listen to my music and read a book. I'll feel happy if noone talks to me the whole journey, doubly happy if noone sits by me! I don't know whether that's right or wrong or neither.